On Wednesday, I took an extended lunch break in order to take the Zend PHP Certification test at a local Pearson VUE Testing Center.
After a few years of using PHP and studying for a few months, I am a Zend Certified PHP Engineer!
Books that have helped me:
- Programming PHP, 3rd Ed by Kevin Tatroe, Peter MacIntyre, & Rasmus Lerdorf
- Zend PHP 5 Certification Study Guide, Third Edition by Davey Shafik and Ben Ramsey
- Reviewing the Zend PHP Certification Study Guide and doing the problems contained within.
People who have helped me along the way:
- My wife.
- My kids.
- My mentor and fellow KCPUG co-organizer, John Kary
- KCPUG leader Dan Holmes and the great members of the KCPUG.
- Cal Evans and the great speakers at NomadPHP.
- Adam Culp for giving me the push at Lone Star PHP 2014.
Practices that have help me:
- ABC: Alway be coding!
- Added an hour appointment to my calendar every day, after the kids were in bed, to study.
- Watched NomadPHP talks (live, recorded, or on Youtube)
- Listen to various podcasts about programming, not all about PHP
- Present at KCPUG (forced me to really think about the how and why)
- Followed my curiosity in code
These practices and personal connections will continue long after my certification studies ended. I'm looking forward to the next leg of the journey.